IMAP4 Event Monitor Filter

• Thank you received: 32

IMAP4 Event Monitor Filter was created by bruce.gibbins

AELTP : v6.3.4.9 x32

Hi,

I am not sure how practical or resource hungry this would be within your monitoring framework. However, I was wondering if you might consider enhancing the IMAP4 Event Monitor to include a FILTER TAB similar to the Filter TAB in the IMAP4 Package Action Object.

At the moment it monitors a folder (via a connection) for any new mail message. However, in our case the mailbox is used to receive messages from a number of sources for different ETL purposes. The idea would be that the monitor event would fire off a particular Package if a message came into the mailbox with a specific set of filtering criteria (eg, Sender, Subject etc).

IN our case we may get a message from SourceA with SubjectA and we need to have PackageA process it. But we will also get a message from SourceB with SubjectB and have it processed by PackageB

We could setup MailBox transport level rules to move the message into a unique folder and have separate monitors for each folder.This would work but it would mean polluting the Mailbox with numerous folders as after processing the inbound message we will move it to another folder to indicate it has been processed.

I can see numerous issues related to having too many monitors on the same mailbox. However, our mail is hosted and having numerous mailboxes would be confusing and would require additional licenses.

Thanks for your consideration.
1 year 2 months ago #19666

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 510

Replied by admin on topic IMAP4 Event Monitor Filter

I am not sure that it is a good idea.
Monitor supposed to be light with minimum impact on the server.
Al the filtering is done inside our software, pulling all messages too often will be definitely banned by some email providers.
We will keep it as it is for now
Mike
1 year 2 months ago #19669

• Thank you received: 32

Replied by bruce.gibbins on topic IMAP4 Event Monitor Filter

Hi Mike,

I can understand your reasoning and it was a concern of mine when I first thought about options. However, in our case (a single mailbox) we would still potentially need to have multiple IMAP4 Receive Email Action items after the Event has fired to then determine which translation or sub-package to run based on the Message MetaData. I think this method would appear the cleanest and easiest to read within the designer but would again cause multiple read attempts.

I could use a single IMAP4 Receive Email Package Action and simply get all messages but this raises the question of how do I then determine who the message attachments belong to and each message may have a different purpose and meaning to us and will certainly have different sets of attachments. Also, the senders have their own pattern for subjects and sometimes the subject of the messages needs to be used to provide context to the attachment as they may have a generic filename such as (report.csv) giving us no idea of the purpose of the report, who it is from or the date that it corresponds to.

Therefore, we would still need to analyse the Message MetaData to determine who the attachments belong to and what they mean to us for later downstream processing.

I already have developed a custom Python based ecosystem to do exactly this but my hope is to retire this in preference to using AETL. It is a synchronous process polling the same mailbox numerous times in a 10 minute cycle. SO I run the same risk as what you have mentioned. However, at this stage no problems with O365 hosted mailbox.

Thanks for your time. We will see what workarounds we can come up with that are functional, stable and easily followed within the Designer.

cheers
1 year 2 months ago #19671

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies