Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lock down field mapping against SQL Database table

Lock down field mapping against SQL Database table 10 months 2 weeks ago #18518

Hi. I am not sure what the best subject line is and I don;t have any real suggestion/solution for this particular scenario. But I feel that something would/should be possible.

I have come unstuck a number of times when an underlying table (generally a staging table) that is used in a transformation has had its structure changed thus causing the ordinal position of the fields to be adjusted. In particular a staging table had a column that was not required and it was removed. The column was the first in the table. Thus, removing it caused all of the ordinal positions to be adjusted. The column was not receiving a value in any case and it was redundant.

The next time the transformation ran - it failed.

I had forgotten that the positions would have changed. But when I went into the transformation and all of the field mappings appeared to be all over the place and linked to incorrect outbound columns. As we had several transformations using the same outbound table they appeared to be all 'broken'.

Of course by adding the column back into the outbound table resolved the issue. But I was wondering if there is some way of mapping on field name rather than position (if that is what is being done). Perhaps having a check box property to allow you to do this or not depending on your preference.

Another possible remedy may be to have some type of 'fixup' in the transformation designer that allowed you to adjust the field positions/numbering to match that destination table.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lock down field mapping against SQL Database table 10 months 2 weeks ago #18521

• admin
  • Deeds not Words
  • Thank you received: 415
Although it sounds like an easy fix it is actually a very difficult thing to do.
(We will add it to our "future development list" of course).

For now, my advice is to add another transformation before writer and use automap function
Mike

Lock down field mapping against SQL Database table 10 months 2 weeks ago #18527

I am familiar with automap but thought it was more of an intelligent way of quickly assigning field map relationships.

Are you saying that it automap each time the transformation is evoked?

Thanks

• Page:

We have 310 guests and no members online