Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: READ ONLY Mode Warning

READ ONLY Mode Warning 1 year 3 months ago #18313

Hi. I think the ability to make an object as READ ONLY to protect it is fantastic. May I suggest a slight extension such that when the object is opened in the Designer a message dialog appears to warn the developer of this fact and possibly even allow it to be changed to READ-WRITE at that point with the possibility of creating a New Version at that point.

This suggestion stems from the number of times I have gone into make a change to an existing object, make the changes and forget it is READ-ONLY mode and then have to lose what I have done.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

READ ONLY Mode Warning 1 year 3 months ago #18320

• admin
  • Deeds not Words
  • Thank you received: 427
Well if everything is read-only it will lask you too many questions,
This can be very annoying if all you want to do is just to have a look
Mike

READ ONLY Mode Warning 1 year 3 months ago #18322

Agreed. But sometimes a developer 'taking a look' may inadvertantly change something and without forced checkout checkin a change may be implemented inadvertantly.
Perhaps a more obvious IN READONLY mode indicator that is purely visual and requires no user input. Or perhaps if you have gone in and it is READONLY and you have an icon inside the object editor that allows you to switch to READWRITE without closing and reentering.

I am just spitballing ideas as I agree - don't need unnecessary prompts. But also don't want to do some changes only to realise I can save them.
Cheers

• Page:

We have 184 guests and one member online