File already exists. Try a different database name

• Thank you received: 0

File already exists. Try a different database name was created by jimimaseye

Running latest 5.3.2.13 (but error exists on older version too)

Hi
I have been using database browser portable for some time without problem. I use it specifically to view a MS SQL CE database .SDF (amongst others) which belongs to a mail server application I run. The database is held under a directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\ (due to the application being 32bit and defaults to this directory at install).
I have been running database browser without problem using Windows 7 but migrated to windows 10. The setup and environment (as described above) is identical on both machines.
However, under Win10, when I create the connection and test to connect I received the error
"File already exists Try using a different database name, [0, 0, 0, File name:.....".
At the foot of the screen it specifically refers to file "C:\program files" despite that the full file name location was pointed to and enclosed in Quotes. (see attached screen shot)

HOWEVER, if I copy the SDF file and place it in a directory that has non-spaced file path (eg, "C:\Users\User\Downloads" - note no spaces) and then try to access it there then we connect to it successfully (as expected). See screenshot:

The only difference as I see it being is that there are no spaces in the filename. It should be reiterated that this error did NOT happen when under Win 7.
Can someone please advise if there is something I am missing or an inconsistency or incompatibility under Win10. I await your advice please.
Thanks
3 months 6 days ago #20498
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by jimimaseye on topic File already exists. Try a different database name

Update (after further investigation):
I am currently logged in to windows as a Standard User (not admin). However, if I right-click on databasebrowser and 'run as administrator' user and retry then I connect successfully. So it seems it is not 'space in file path' related. But for some reason, under win10, that Standard User cannot connect to this file. I have changed the permissions of the SDF file to allow FULL CONTROL for users but toi no avail (see screenshot)

(the environment and users is the same as under Win7 yet win7 does not behave this way).

I await comment/advice.
3 months 6 days ago #20499
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 510

Replied by admin on topic File already exists. Try a different database name

We will try to reproduce the problem in the office however we do not have much control over how the driver behaves.
After all, it was created by Microsoft and not by us
So it is debatable that we can fix it.

Anyway, can we ask you try OleDB connection instead? it usually offers more options.

Also perhaps the file, you are trying to access is already open by a different application/ or service and this prevents the file from being opened by Database Browser. When you copy it to a different folder it is no longer openend therefore it works as expected
Mike
3 months 5 days ago #20500

Replied by jimimaseye on topic File already exists. Try a different database name

Hi Mike

You may see in my 2nd (followup) post that I determined the issue to be permission based. I confirm that the file is not open/locked at all at time of trying (as the using service is closed) whether it be in its current default location or even when copied to anywhere else within the Program files* directory structure. In any case, even if the service is running that utilises the SDF file it remains accessible if using 'run as administrator' (thus proving file locking to not be a csuse). I give full details in the 2nd post. It is strange because this behaviour does not happen with Win7.

Thanks
3 months 5 days ago #20501

Maybe you need to grant access to database folder (Not the actual database file)
Mike
3 months 5 days ago #20502

Found this article which may be useful for your case

www.xtremerain.com/get-full-access-folders-windows/
Mike
3 months 4 days ago #20503

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies