Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Operation must use an updateable query when connecting to an ODBC connection

Operation must use an updateable query when connecting to an ODBC connection 4 months 6 days ago #19001

• GlynR
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a machine at work which is locked down pretty well. I have been allowed to install Database Browser onto it and I am trying to connect to an ODBC database connected to a folder with CSV files in it. The machine is 64-bit windows 10 and I am not an administrator.

I am using crystal reports to connect to the ODBC DSN with no problems but when I try to add the connection into Database Browser I get an error message that says I need an updateable query. This happens when I attempt to add the new connection and the connection is added to the list box but doesn't work.

The DSN is a USER DSN as I can't add a SYSTEM DSN. It is called EXTRACTOR and the data source name and description are both set to extractor. and the driver is the Microsoft Text Driver. The directory is C:\Preceda\CrystalDataFiles and this folder contains a number of CSV files and a schema.ini which describes those CSV files.

If I try to access the same data with my copy of EXCEL (it's a 64-bit Excel) I get an error saying that I have a 32/64 bit architecture mismatch which I understand as I don't have a 64-bit CSV driver installed - only the 32-bit driver that comes with windows.

I tried the same thing at home on my own 64-bit win-10 PC and had no problems with Database Browser.

What am I missing?
Why does the error message say that I need an updateable query when I'm only attempting to connect to the database - not run a query,
Is it because I don't have admin rights? If this is the case can I add the connection with admin rights and then use it without needing admin rights?
Why does it work with Crystal Reports but not with database browser?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Operation must use an updateable query when connecting to an ODBC connection 4 months 6 days ago #19002

• admin
  • Deeds not Words
  • Thank you received: 415
Without useful screenshots, it is difficult to understand the problem or provide help
Mike

Operation must use an updateable query when connecting to an ODBC connection 4 months 6 days ago #19003

• GlynR
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have shown the setting when I add the ODBC DSN, I have shown a file list of the data folder that Extractor points to.
I have shown the screens when I try to add the connection into dbBrowser.
Not sure what else you might need.

Thanks

Operation must use an updateable query when connecting to an ODBC connection 4 months 6 days ago #19005

• admin
  • Deeds not Words
  • Thank you received: 415
Our software stores connection information in db.mdb file
If they're not enough access rights to update the file you will the error message described
Mike
Attachments:

• Page:

We have 112 guests and no members online