Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Check File Action

Check File Action 4 months 2 weeks ago #18955

AETLE x64 v6.3.3.2

Assume a package with a "Check File Action" that looks in a directory for a set of aged files and if they exists, zips them and checks the zip worked. If it does then sends a SUCCESS eMail. A DEFAULT ERROR ACTION has been setup to send a FAILED eMail Message.

In our case if there are no files to initially ZIP we just need to exit without sending either a SUCCESS or FAILED eMail Message. However, the Check File Action step which has "On Error Execute" = "Not Defined" still generates an error in the Log and flags the whole package as failed.

I could of course drop[ the "DEFAULT ERROR ACTION" and manually link each of the ON ERROR EXECUTE links to the approriate email action and then leave the File Check as not defined. But, was wondering if there was a more elegant and transparent approach. Something like just a plain EXIT or "NO OP" action that let's AETLE know that the package has completed without error (In this case there was simply nothing to do)?

Thanks in advance
Bruce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Check File Action 4 months 2 weeks ago #18956

I usually pause action to avoid issues like this.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bruce.gibbins

Check File Action 4 months 2 weeks ago #18957

Thanks. My only criticism here is that without checking I would think that the Execution Log will still list that step as an Error. Whilst we don't do this currently it would be conceivable that one could check the execution log looking for errors and perform some type of action on those. In this case the error is a false positive and requires someone to understand the context of the check before understanding that in fact the error is not an error and a possibly valid outcome.

Just a thought but perhaps have an "ON ERROR" action being "Ignore" or similar and then have the AETL engine interpret that in this case as 'pseudo successful' action would provide a more 'friendly' log file.

cheers

Check File Action 4 months 1 week ago #18959

• admin
  • Deeds not Words
  • Thank you received: 412
Just a thought but perhaps have an "ON ERROR" action being "Ignore" or similar and then have the AETL engine interpret that in this case as 'pseudo successful' action would provide a more 'friendly' log file.

How about if we add option "complete package execution successfully"?
But it might be confusing to the rest of the users
Mike

Check File Action 4 months 1 week ago #18963

In a nutshell that would work for us. But I guess it could cause some confusion. Perhaps an alternative to avoid this have an ACTION class Called "complete successfully" and have the option as you do now to redirect the ON ERROR EVENT to that ACTION Class (Sorry, not sure what you call them). Typically people probably branch off now and send an email or go down a different data transformation path. So it is kind of like a NOOP Action that doesn't do anything but somehow is recognised by the calling action to flag it as being successful and than just jumps to NOOP and.... ends

cheers

Check File Action 3 months 1 week ago #19008

• admin
  • Deeds not Words
  • Thank you received: 412
Hi Bruce.

How about this one.
The last package action failed but overall package execution status is a success.

Mike
Attachments:

• Page:

We have 275 guests and no members online