Questions about monitors

• Thank you received: 0

Questions about monitors was created by Daniel

Hi,

I am trying out the monitors feature because today I use polling for handle file, ftp and pop downloading of files and messages.
It looks like the File Creation Monitor spawns for each newly created file. my questions are
1. Can I detect the file name that spawned a specific instance of the package? So the spawned instance of the package can handle the specific file yes/no?

a. If no, to above, how to I distinguish between the many files in each instance of the package. How do I avoid the instances of the package from conflicting with the other instances of the same package.

2. Can the file creation monitor watch UNC shares? How does it work, is it a polling mechanism?

I guess the same question applies to POP and FTP monitors too.

Thank you,
Daniel
3 years 4 months ago #16747

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 495

Replied by admin on topic Questions about monitors

1) Can I detect the file name that spawned a specific instance of the package? So the spawned instance of the package can handle the specific file yes/no?

We do have variables for it.

<Monitor ID>
<Directory Monitor File Name>

www.etl-tools.com/wiki/aetle/unattended_...on/directory_monitor

2) Can the file creation monitor watch UNC shares? How does it work, is it a polling mechanism?

It should work with unc path as well (According to the documentation from Microsoft)

It is not a polling mechanism, it is windows API function which fires an event when changes are made to the directory

I guess the same question applies to POP and FTP monitors too.

3) POP3:

There is no message received attribute within email message so we cannot use it. What we do instead we check number of messages and fire an event when number of messages goes up.
  • Monitor connects to mail server and records number of messages for example 10
    Monitor connects to mail server again and records number of messages for example 12
    Since 12 is bigger than 10, event is fired, package connects to the emails server process all messages and deletes them form the server
    Monitor connects to mail server and records number of messages 0
    Monitor connects to mail server and records number of messages 10 for example Event is fired
4) FTP:
  • When monitor connects to FTP server first time it records connection time
    Next time it lists all the files and compares last modification date/time with connection time
    If there are new files it does fire an event and records highest last modification date/time
    Next time it lists all the files and compares last modification date/time with previously recorded time
Wiki has info about variables
We are open for discussion how to make monitors work better.
Mike
3 years 4 months ago #16748

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies