Move files on the remote FTP server by using the rename function

• Thank you received: 0

Move files on the remote FTP server by using the rename function was created by Jim

Mike,

As you suggested using web forum from now on

Thanks for your efforts to date. I do have a work around as I mentioned in a previous email so this takes the pressure off some; I am just running an SQL script that does a bulk Copy and it works fine. The only issue is it requires the data to reside on the PostgreSQL server, so I need an open share on the server and I move it to the server share using one of your file operations.

I need to look at that rejected record you received in your test; that data should have been clean and looking through it the Invoice Number looks fine here on the copy of the same file I have. I have already imported that file on the live system with no errors, not sure what that is all about unless the file was damaged in getting it to you.

I will test this from my side via the VPN and maybe with a local PostgreSQL server using Vista as the client and see if it works. I know it works fine for MS SQL I did my initial testing here with one of my MS SQL servers and it was great. The client will be purchasing the program so I do need to get the import Wizard working with their PostgreSQL
server and their client in the near future. They have lots of little jobs that could be automated with your tool.

I have one unrelated question; with your FTP application should I be able to move files on the remote FTP server by using the rename function. I have noticed many FTP clients seem to do a move by just doing a rename. Should this work with your FTP module and most FTP servers? Or how would you recommend I do a move? My first attempt
failed doing the rename. I have done the same operations with my login credentials using FileZilla FTP Client and it all worked, so I do have the correct access rights. I would like to move the successfully downloaded files to an archive on the remote FTP server as a backup.

Jim
9 years 4 months ago #2985

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 495

Replied by admin on topic Re: Move files on the remote FTP server by using the rename function

It is all depends on what you mean.

Some people think that it is possible to move files from ftp to local pc.
Well it is not possible wit any client.

You can do exactly the same by downloading the files and deleting from the ftp server.

If you want to move the files between different directories on the same FTP server it should be possible with our etl tools.

However if it does not work for you for some reason we will be happy to assist you.

Mike
Mike
9 years 4 months ago #2986

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies